Comparison of: Zeiss Otus, Sigma 50 Art, Nikkor 58G, Nikkor 50/1.4G, Nikkor 50/1.8G

Started Aug 10, 2014 | Discussions thread
xtm Senior Member • Posts: 1,123
Re: On the other hand

GlobalGuyUSA wrote:

Hi, Do you have any examples of this magic side-by-side with another 50/60/85 lens from which you're basing this opinion?

FlowBerlin wrote:
I can't tell you how many times I've heard this in the past 36 hours... Before, it was always "magic", now, it's "misunderstood".

What magic? I never said magic.. I said unique character. Where did you get "magic" from?

I actually hate it when people say "this lens is magic".. lol. There's no "magic". It's either you like the rendering or you don't. There aint no magic. The magic is created by the person behind the camera, not the lens.

As for the 'misunderstood' part--- , it seems that everyone who tests a lens has this one goal in mind: SHARPNESS. They think "if a lens aint sharp, it aint no good." They think that if a lens costs $1700, it "better be sharp". hate to break it to ya, but photography isn't all about getting sharp pictures. Sharpness is just one aspect - there is more to photography than "sharpness". There's this thing called "character", which the Sigma Art lacks (IMO). And if you think the 58G is a "joke", then you clearly don't understand what the design goal is for this lens. That's where the "misunderstood" part came from.

xtm's gear list:xtm's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xtm
xtm
xtm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow