Comparison of: Zeiss Otus, Sigma 50 Art, Nikkor 58G, Nikkor 50/1.4G, Nikkor 50/1.8G

Started Aug 10, 2014 | Discussions thread
GlobalGuyUSA Senior Member • Posts: 2,016
Re: On the other hand

xtm wrote:

Good review, but I won't repeat what has already been said.

The 58 is a misunderstood lens. I have it, and IMO, you have to shoot it for a while to see what the lens is all about. It's not as straightforward as the Sigma 50A in that it gives you brutal sharpness out of the box. The 58 has a somewhat steep learning curve, both in focusing and framing. Once you learn where it shines, the images you can produce with it are quite unique. It draws a very unique character that I have never seen in 75+ Nikkors that I've owned, with the 200 f/2 and 58 Noct being the exception.

Hi, Do you have any examples of this magic side-by-side with another 50/60/85 lens from which you're basing this opinion?

I am not a 58mm hater -- in fact, I am considering purchasing it actually, even knowing that its less sharp; but the Sigma 1.4Art + a Nikon 50/1.8G combo are starting to seem like a better combined value.

-- hide signature --

Sincerely,
GlobalGuy

GlobalGuyUSA's gear list:GlobalGuyUSA's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xtm
xtm
xtm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow