Comparison of: Zeiss Otus, Sigma 50 Art, Nikkor 58G, Nikkor 50/1.4G, Nikkor 50/1.8G

Started Aug 10, 2014 | Discussions thread
MoreorLess Veteran Member • Posts: 4,423
I disagree with him here..

Cogset wrote:

coudet wrote:

Cogset wrote:

Terrific review. To me, you're gonna upset a lot of 58 1.4G owners but so be it. Looks like a Sigma for me.

If they survived the Lenstip review (it was brutal), they'll survive this too. It has really nice bokeh, but pricing is just off when you factor in everything.

Maybe, but if you read this review to the end, one could deduce that the great bokeh has a lot to do with the lack of sharpness.... and the other lenses score relatively well in bokeh. Regarding the 58 he says:

"...When you compare in a standardized and adjusted setting, as in: compensating for the focal length, the NIkkor 58/1.4G is not overall “creamier” than the rest. It is at f/1.4, but only slightestly. However, from f/2.8 on, it looks just like the other Nikkors."

-- hide signature --

I disagree with him there, to me it clearly is the only one of those lenses with a significant creaminess advantage over the others. None of them are poor but the difference between it and the rest is great enough not to be splitting hairs.

I'd suggest the price of the 58mm 1.4 probably reflects on the market, whilst the performance of the Sigma 50mm is likely to appeal to amateurs and sell in greater numbers the performance of the 58mm is likely to appeal to pro's who have a bit more money to spend.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xtm
xtm
xtm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow