Is this proof of, "It's the photographer"?

Started Aug 10, 2014 | Discussions thread
bford Senior Member • Posts: 1,489
Re: "It's the photographer" is a condescending and incomplete cliche

Joris1632 wrote:

This is also part of the camera marketing that suggests if you get the latest wizbang camera, you too can make the photo of your wife to look like a fashion model and so the one who looks at your photo of beautiful model will invariably ask if you used the latest wizabang cam.

OUCH! I hope your wife never sees this post!

But - I suggest that a photographer built the first camera, so it really does have to be the photographer every time.

This whole argument would vanish if we judged every photo for what it is and not on who or what made it.

No one who's spent a few grand on gear wants to hear that a $20 book on composition would improve his work more than a $1000 lens

That book on composition would only show him or her how to artistically improve a photo within the technical limits of the particular camera used. A sharper lens will still deliver a sharper picture.

You've just proved my point , "only", "artistically", please!

Your point excluded an important aspect of photography, the technical side of it. You were making an invalid comparison between a book on composition and the technical merits of a superior lens. Those are two different things.

Why is sharper better? What are your universal criteria? Mine are simple, does the shot achieve it's aims or not? Is the aim to convey an emotion or accurately reproduce a test chart?

A sharper lens affects all results, not just test charts. A sharper lens, all other things being equal, can convey more emotion by actually recording more detail. Don't need so much detail for a particular project? The results can be blurred through software. Adding detail when it is not there in the first place though is not possible. A sharper lens also helps a photographer crop more aggressively, potentially saving a shot. A better lens also has less distortion and light fall off, and consistent sharpness across the frame. Most photographer's aims include the technical.

Online there are billions of superbly exposed and processed images of everything. A few stand out because they are crafted, "composed" and created by someone's particular vision.

Which is helped further by having technically superior equipment.

The art and craft of picture making is often seen as a sort of excuse for sloppy technique but in fact creativity usually demands a very high technical capability.

The technical you speak of is not the technical I speak of. A better word for you to use would be technique.

-- hide signature --

Joris1632

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow