A couple of weeks with the X-E2 and 18-55...

Started Aug 11, 2014 | Discussions thread
OP russbarnes Senior Member • Posts: 1,660
Re: A couple of weeks with the X-E2 and 18-55...

Joe Braun wrote:

Nice shot! As a fellow D800 shooter, I'm curious about your experience with the X-E2 as I'm looking for something smaller and more portable as well. Are you happy with the image quality? Highlight recovery, resolution? Do you enjoy shooting with the camera? (I've read many reviews, but I appreciate subjective opinions as well.) Thanks! -Joe

IQ is good enough with the 18-55, certainly low noise, but the colour space is different to Nikon, I struggle a bit with greens and there are times it feels limiting in resolution terms, but after the D800E that's inevitable. A lower dynamic range means I find myself reaching for filters, but I don't blow my highlights so highlight recovery isn't an issue for me. Certainly boosting shadows is very good, noise free just like my Nikon files.

At first the Fuji menus drove me nuts but once I configured the buttons I was missing from my D800E it's already second nature. I got into the habit years ago of switching my DSLR off as I walked around and do the same with my X-E2. As such the battery seems to last forever, nowhere near as bad as people have made out, I bought two spares and already thinking it's overkill.

The biggest issue I had initially was RAW processing. Silkypix should be consigned to hell so using ACR in Photoshop CS6 and it took me a while to get anything like what I wanted. Also, having to use sharpening again, something I stopped doing with the D800E a long time back.

Bottom line, it's staying as part of my kit, it's no replacement for my D800E but as a secondary occasional camera for holidays etc it's a nice light compact option that produces files which while requiring more work than my Nikon RAWs, get there eventually.

russbarnes's gear list:russbarnes's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon PC-E Nikkor 45mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Nikon 24-70mm F2.8E ED VR +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow