Comparison of: Zeiss Otus, Sigma 50 Art, Nikkor 58G, Nikkor 50/1.4G, Nikkor 50/1.8G

Started Aug 10, 2014 | Discussions thread
Stacey_K
Stacey_K Veteran Member • Posts: 8,373
Re: Couple questions - nice effort, but the testing may mislead some as it stands

fpessolano wrote:

I believe a lot of people understand what nikon did with the 58. But most of who understands also looks for the better compromise and balance in a lens when their sole purpose is not near wide open photography at this focal lens.

Like I said, for many people the sigma is probably a better choice. I really don't believe many people understand this lens. They look at lenstip, DXO or other resolution tests zoomed in at 100% and laugh (as the OP did when he wrote this article). Or they compare the far background bokeh on a scene with a fairly smooth background and proclaim "There is no difference!".

I don't regret buying the 58 over the sigma. I waited for the sigma 50 before I bought the 58 and studied the images (of the type I would make) and I just wasn't that impressed, other than the 100% zoomed in sharpness of course. If I was going to use this focal length to shoot landscapes at f8-f11, the 50 1.8G or the MF 50mm f1.2 can handle that role in a smaller/lighter/cheaper package. Or I would use a 28-70 f2.8, in the same weight package, have a wide range of focal lengths with great IQ.

I find the 58 useful for many things other than portraits close to wide open, but then again I'm not making 30X40 prints to be viewed from less than 12 inches or examining my files at 100%. I look at the whole image and find this lens renders many things nicely.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha a7 +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xtm
xtm
xtm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow