Comparison of: Zeiss Otus, Sigma 50 Art, Nikkor 58G, Nikkor 50/1.4G, Nikkor 50/1.8G

Started Aug 10, 2014 | Discussions thread
PerL Forum Pro • Posts: 13,802
On the other hand

FlowBerlin wrote:

Hey everyone,

Since this also contains Nikkor lense, I'm posting this again in this forum.

So, to anyone who's interested, I did a not-so-unextensive comparison of the

• Zeiss Otus 55mm/1.4,
  • Sigma 50mm/1.4 Art,
  • Nikkor 58mm/1.4G,
  • Nikkor 50mm/1.4G
  • Nikkor 50mm/1.8G

You can really see the results for every lens side by side with A/B sliders, with real-world images (and not of the mess on my desk or the back of my garden). Check out the comparison here.

Enjoy,

Flow

Very well done comparison, however, I am not sure it captures everything. For instance, judging by it, there should be no reason at all to get the 58 1.4 over any of the others, for instance the 50 1.8G.

But look at this sample with the 50 1.8G and the ugly bokeh in this particular shot (made on film, but it should not matter). Lenses made for good bokeh, like probably the 58 1.4? should look better.

I have seen complete jobs sold in by the look created by the Canon 50 1.2 shot wide open or close to it. They were probably not particularly sharp, but had an overall appeal that the non-technical editor just liked and bought. I think that is what the 58 1.4 aims for and one has to see a whole suit of reportage style images to see if it is successful.

The question mark I would have with the Sigma is the AF which of course is critical with this type of lens. I have hade AF issues with several otherwise excellent Sigmas. Maybe they have nailed it this time.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xtm
xtm
xtm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow