Help on choosing new lenses

Started Aug 7, 2014 | Discussions thread
brentbrent Veteran Member • Posts: 3,412
Re: Help on choosing new lenses

Rjansenbr2 wrote:

Lastly, I have always craved for the 75mm 1.8. This lens should cover what I believe is the main disadvantage of the m43 compared to full frame: too much DOF.

But still, I worry that I may not use this lens enough to justify paying USD 900 for it. Has anyone regretted buying it? Keep in mind I already have the 45mm 1.8 that should play as a portrait lens.

I have the Oly 45 and like it a lot, but the 75 is truly a special lens. It's not my most-used lens, nor my "favorite" MFT lens, but I don't regret buying it one bit. It is certainly my best lens. And images taken with the 75 often wow me in a way that images taken with other lenses just don't.

For me, it's certainly not rendered redundant by the 45. But if you just want a portrait lens with shallow depth of field, perhaps the 45 is sufficient for you.

It's not for everyone. But if the focal length would be useful to you, and if you can afford it, I think you should give it serious consideration.

-- hide signature --

Brent

brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow