Upgrade D700 to D800... or Wait for A7 Successor

Started Aug 8, 2014 | Discussions thread
MarsObserver
MarsObserver Senior Member • Posts: 1,387
Re: Upgrade D700 to D800... or Wait for A7 Successor

Sener wrote:

Hello,

X-posting this thread with the Nikon forum so I can also get ideas of the Sony owners.

I have a D700 which I have not been able to quite enjoy yet. Last year I moved up to it from the D7000 but at some point, I got caught up with the mirrorles madness. Since 7-8 months I have been using a variety of mirrorless cameras such as Olympus E-M5, Fuji X-T1 and X100s.

Throughout the time I have gotten very much used to the stealthiness of mirrorless cams and loved the portability. I sold my D700 in the process.

But I could not let go of the FF'ness, the DOF control, RAW file flexibility, AF performance and, well, tradition. The small mirrorless cameras did not replace my DSLR habits, but instead they created their own segment in my hobby.

So three months ago I purchased another D700, for a quite steal price and in a pretty mint condition. Now that the D810 is released, I expect the D800 prices to come down.

But since the technology with mirrorless cams and EVFs is evolving rapidly and mirrorless cams present so many functions that the DSLR cannot or will not (large, bright EVFS and WYSWYG, Wi-fi control, portability, tilting screens, focus peaking, etc) I am finding myself unable to justify investing that money on a DSLR.

At the same time I wonder what the D800, touted as "having much better IQ, RAW headroom, dynamic range and high ISO than the D700" could bring me as an upgrade. Altough smitten by the JPEG quality of mirrorless cams, I am a RAW shooter at heart. I am not so sure about the AF performance tough.

Shortly, I cannot decide whether to go for a higher DSLR or wait for a possible game-changer Sony mirrorless FF. It was going to be the A7 but the camera looks more like a beta version of what's coming in the Sony FF mirrorless line. I still find it insufficient for my habits.

My budget can allow me to go for both, but I don't want to get too invested in too much equipment. I have other hobbies.

Ideas appreaciated

I hear what you're saying.  The A7 is the first release in what is likely going to be a long, new line of cameras from Sony.  This is one of the reasons I went with the A7 (rather than the more expensive A7r or A7s)... because I intend to upgrade to a new body once the line matures a little more.

But there's no reason for you not to get an A7 now and begin enjoying the benefits of FF mirrorless, and building a system (lenses, flashes, etc)... ESPECIALLY considering the relatively low cost of the A7

When Sony does come out with an A-whatever with faster AF, smaller body, or whatever it is you're looking for, you'll have gotten a lot of good use out of the A7 by that time, lots of great photos, and it will serve as a nice 2nd/backup body. You'll also already have a nice selection of lenses to use on the new body.

If you like the features of mirrorless, but also want high (D800-like) IQ - well, the A7 (or Ar) offers *both*.

I love my D700, but I like the (RAW) files my A7 even more. I love their 'film-like' quality, and I even prefer them to the files I've seen from the D800.  If you like to shoot 50mm, you'll be hard-pressed to find a better camera/lens combo the A7 and Zeiss 55mm f1.8.

I'm waiting for a rangefinder styled A7 with fast AF.  I'll upgrade my body then, and that may be my ideal camera.  But for now, the A7 comes pretty close... so close in fact that I feel content to wait as long as necessary for my rangefinder A7 - no need to rush/upgrade to something else until then - I'm happy with the A7.  I use my tiny Nikon1 if I need fast AF or something smaller - it compliments my A7.  I've still got my D700 but mostly it just sits on the shelf collecting dust.

MarsObserver's gear list:MarsObserver's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX10 II Sony Alpha a7 Sony a6300
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow