Help on choosing new lenses

Started Aug 7, 2014 | Discussions thread
biza43 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,756
Re: Help on choosing new lenses

Rjansenbr2 wrote:

The 75mm MFT lens will "see" as a 150mm FF lens. Focal length is still the #1 criteria when choosing lenses, so start there.

Yes, I know the equivalence rule. I like the look of 150mm, but you have to really step away from the subject... that´s what I don´t like very much. Also, it seems to restrictive, If there is any change in the scene, you will probably have to change lens (and miss the shot).

For H&S portraits of my wife and daughter that I took recently with this lens, I was perhaps 3 m away from them. About 2 m away for tighter portrait shots. So, if you like the FOV, go for it. The perspective it gives on portraits is as flattering as it gets.

Any prime lens will be less flexible than a zoom; or maybe it forces one to be less "lazy" and to previsuallize a scene? You have to see as a lens sees, and shoot accordingly.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Sony Alpha a7 II Olympus PEN-F Sony FE 70-200 F4 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow