HELP! What are your video settings for the 20mm f1.7 II Pancake Lens? (On Panasonic GM1)

Started Aug 8, 2014 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jhall006 Forum Member • Posts: 73
HELP! What are your video settings for the 20mm f1.7 II Pancake Lens? (On Panasonic GM1)

Hello everyone,

I have the Panasonic GM1 and really love it. As soon as I bought it I sold the kit lens and replaced it with a near new 20mm F1.7 II pancake as I wanted a faster and smaller lens. For stills, over the past few months it really hasn't disappointed.

However, I just can't overcome the focus issue, even in light that isn't that dim. An example is trying to take a video of my daughter dancing and in a small room with her moving a minimal amount towards and away from the camera, it's just losing focus constantly. Even in scenes when she isn't moving out of the set focal length, it can randomly lose focus on her and hunt around for something else.

Is there any way others have found of overcoming this? I've tried manual focus and it's ok but a little slow as well (possibly due to my inexperience with manual focusing). I've also tried turning continuous AF off and manually tapping the screen to keep focus but it struggles to find the subject sometimes.

Is there any way of increasing the aperture used during video to get a greater DOF or anything like that? I used to have the LX5 and never had such problems but I don't know if it's all to do with the pancake lens or what...

Thanks in advance!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow