Help on choosing new lenses

Started Aug 7, 2014 | Discussions thread
bs1946
bs1946 Senior Member • Posts: 5,696
Re: Help on choosing new lenses

Rjansenbr2 wrote:

I currently have a three lens set, with a pana 20mm (my favorite by far), a 45mm (which I haven't used much) and a 14-42mm (rarely used, too slow).

I recently got my E-M10 with the 12mm f2 and am doing the same thing, building a 3-lens kit. The 17mm f1.8 is already locked in as lens number 2.

Since I am giving up my full frame equipment in favor of m43, I thought I should add a few lenses to my kit.

My full frame equipment is all film based that now mostly collects dust.

One first addition should probably be the Oly 12-40 2.8. With its relativity fast aperture, I believe it can be one of my most used lens. The only drawback I see is its size. Is it too big and heavy?

If you like zooms, this is as good as it gets. I had one for 3 weeks but just sent it back because I'm not a zoom guy. With the lens fully retracted, it sits at 16mm, not 12mm like you might expect. I took a lot of shots at 16mm because I forgot I could zoom without using my feet. It weighs just about the same as my E-M10, a little over 13oz., If your used to small M43 primes and zooms, it might seem large and heavy. But if your used to using full frame or film lenses it is not. You also have the 20mm when you want something faster and it sits almost dead center of the 12mm-40mm's range. If you go with the 12mm-40mm, your 45mm almost becomes redundant.

Would it be terribly unbalanced with an em-5, without grip (which a don't intend to buy anyway)?

I was glad to have the grip on my E-M10 but with the larger E-M5 the lens is a great match and like the E-M5, the 12-40mm is weatherproofed.

Second, the oly 40-150 seems to be cheap enough to buy without much thinking.

I have no idea. I think Olympus has a Pro version on the way to go along with the 12-40mm. You might want to hold off and start saving now.

Lastly, I have always craved for the 75mm 1.8. This lens should cover what I believe is the main disadvantage of the m43 compared to full frame: too much DOF.

I have to say that I never have seen one besides pictures or review videos. The crop factor makes it a 150mm and some of the reviews I've read say this is a pure portrait lens and can be quite difficult to use. You might want to check out Robin Wong's 2-part review. He is an avid street shooter and blogger in Malayisa who only uses Olympus gear.

But still, I worry that I may not use this lens enough to justify paying USD 900 for it. Has anyone regretted buying it? Keep in mind I already have the 45mm 1.8 that should play as a portrait lens.

See how the 45mm works for you. To me, unless you do a lot of portrait shooting, it's a lot of money to spend on a lens that may spend most of its time in your camera bag. I've been trying to decide on the 45mm, the Olympus 60mm f2.8 Macro, or the Sigma 60mm f2.8 DN as lens number 3.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks

bs1946's gear list:bs1946's gear list
Apple iPhone 7 Plus Fujifilm X100F
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow