Street Photography - Clichés only?

Started Aug 3, 2014 | Discussions thread
mostlyboringphotog Senior Member • Posts: 7,490
Re: Street Photography - Clichés only?

jafleming3 wrote:

You pose an interesting question.

And, no, I don't for one moment believe that you are a troll.

Like with all types of photography, there is the art and everything else might be called cliche.

In travel photography I've taken my share of common sites and monuments, and even tried to replicate great photos - I'm personally OK with that.

The same holds for street photography. There are the masters, like Henri Cartier Bresson, Vivian Maier, Dorothea Lange, Alfred Stieglitz; others may prefer Robert Frank and Garry Winogrand - there are many masters and many different styles to choose from.

Art is an elitist game - it's very much about excluding the dross.

I, for one, am happy with my dross, and care little about how many like it or don't.

And yes, cliches abound. But those cliches may contain undiscovered nuggets of gold. And I personally prefer to encourage people to take cliches, lots of them; perhaps those photographers will evolve and improve and become tomorrow's HCB. Also remember that even a master like HCB produced his share of cliches initially!

cheers,

john

I share your sentiments - just like I am with my kids, I'm happy with sometimes more and sometimes less of my clichés SPs. I just refrain from sharing most of it

mostlyboringphotog's gear list:mostlyboringphotog's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon 1 J5
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow