Help on choosing new lenses

Started Aug 7, 2014 | Discussions thread
Rjansenbr2
OP Rjansenbr2 Regular Member • Posts: 416
Re: Help on choosing new lenses

Rjansenbr2 wrote:

I currently have a three lens set, with a pana 20mm (my favorite by far), a 45mm (which I haven't used much) and a 14-42mm (rarely used, too slow).

Since I am giving up my full frame equipment in favor of m43, I thought I should add a few lenses to my kit.

One first addition should probably be the Oly 12-40 2.8. With its relativity fast aperture, I believe it can be one of my most used lens. The only drawback I see is its size. Is it too big and heavy?

Coming from full frame cameras, you should not find the M.Zuiko 12-40mm heavy. If you're already "spoiled" by the lightweight of your m4/3 gear, the M.Zuiko 12-40mm will appear to be heavy. But you'll get used to that after a few days.

On an OM-D e-m5, you'll have to carry that duo differently. When I'm not shooting, I'm carrying that duo by the lens (not by the camera). Like I would carry an hammer.

When I'm taking pictures, the left thumb and my left index finger are holding the lens while the OM-D is supported by the palm of my left hand. The right hand is holding the side of the camera and pushing the shutter. That description seems complicated when you read it. Try it: that's simple.

The M.Zuiko 12-40mm is an extraordinary lens. It's THE standard zoom for any IBIS m4/3 camera. Amazingly sharp wide open from 12 to about 25mm. From 25 to 40mm, very good wide open but better step down to F/4,0.

Would it be terribly unbalanced with an em-5, without grip (which a don't intend to buy anyway)?

No. For two years my main lens on my Om-D e-m5 was the Lumix 12-35mm F/2,8, then the M.Zuiko 12-40mm, and I never felt the need nor the desire to acquire the grip.

Second, the oly 40-150 seems to be cheap enough to buy without much thinking.

Yes. Inexpensive, lightweight and very sharp. A must.

Lastly, I have always craved for the 75mm 1.8. This lens should cover what I believe is the main disadvantage of the m43 compared to full frame: too much DOF.

If you really like shallow DOF, you already have the choice between the M.Zuiko 75mm, the Lumix 42.5mm F/1.2, and the extraordinary Voigtländers. For small subjects, even the M.Zuiko 60mm will give you razor-thin DOF when you use it at its closest range.

But still, I worry that I may not use this lens enough to justify paying USD 900 for it. Has anyone regretted buying it? Keep in mind I already have the 45mm 1.8 that should play as a portrait lens.

Once you'll have the M.Zuiko 40-150mm, test it at 75mm and at 45mm: that will give you an indication about your need for their respective angle of view.

Any other recommendations?

The Lumix 7-14mm is a very sharp and very handy lens when you need something wider than the M.Zuiko 12-40mm. But you'll have to correct chromatic aberrations on post-processing... or wait for the upcoming M.Zuiko Pro version.

I haven't checked much the voitglander and this Leica 1.2.

Are they auto focus? Wouldn't the 75mm provide more subject separation, despite the smaller aperture?

Thanks

Rjansenbr2's gear list:Rjansenbr2's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow