Help on choosing new lenses

Started Aug 7, 2014 | Discussions thread
DLBlack Forum Pro • Posts: 13,458
Re: Help on choosing new lenses

Rjansenbr2 wrote:

I currently have a three lens set, with a pana 20mm (my favorite by far), a 45mm (which I haven't used much) and a 14-42mm (rarely used, too slow).

Since I am giving up my full frame equipment in favor of m43, I thought I should add a few lenses to my kit.

One first addition should probably be the Oly 12-40 2.8. With its relativity fast aperture, I believe it can be one of my most used lens. The only drawback I see is its size. Is it too big and heavy?

Would it be terribly unbalanced with an em-5, without grip (which a don't intend to buy anyway)?

Second, the oly 40-150 seems to be cheap enough to buy without much thinking.

Lastly, I have always craved for the 75mm 1.8. This lens should cover what I believe is the main disadvantage of the m43 compared to full frame: too much DOF.

But still, I worry that I may not use this lens enough to justify paying USD 900 for it. Has anyone regretted buying it? Keep in mind I already have the 45mm 1.8 that should play as a portrait lens.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks

The Olympus 12-40/2.8 is an excellent lens.  I have used it on both the E-M5 and E-M1.  Both have RRS L-grip.  On the E-M5 the lens seems large but not too large.

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II +38 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow