Sharpness gain between D800E and D810...

Started Aug 5, 2014 | Discussions thread
T O Shooter Veteran Member • Posts: 7,132
You know you're heading down a dangerous road

Grig wrote:

Hi there,

I just replaced my brand new D610 (came from Nikon as a replacement for D600) with used, but mint condition low click D810E (with a little cash on top and really see the difference in sharpness between my existing D800 and just acquired D800E...

The question is - is the difference between D800E and D810 is kinda the same? If it is - I would probably trade my D800 toward D810 sometime later this year, if not - I will keep it as a backup.

I was totally satisfied with D800 sharpness until I compared them today side by side...

If you compare the D810 to the D800e and find it's sharper, then you'll spend some money to replace the D800. But then you're still not going to be satisfied as the D810 will still outshine the D800e. So that's more money! That's if, and only if, you find the D810 sharper than the D800e.  But in reality it's only paper if you don't spend it, so might as well.

But I will tell you this. Sort of unsupported and I'll have a look through some of my D800 and D800e images tonight. My impression is that the D810 images are far sharper than anything I've shot with either of the other two bodies. Whether it's the sensor, the lower vibration from the shutter ( I hate tripods so generally handheld ), I misjudged AF fine tuning on the 800 and e - I just don't know. But I can crop so deep on the LCD and still have sharpness that the red rectangle is no longer a rectangle; it's a line.  And I can crop so deep on the monitor that it amazes me after shooting D8x0 series for almost 2.5 years.

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D2H Nikon D4S Nikon D810 Nikon D500
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow