Macbook Pro 13 vs 15 inch

Started Aug 5, 2014 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
GadgetNeil Regular Member • Posts: 196
Macbook Pro 13 vs 15 inch

I want to replace my 4 year old 15 in Macbook pro (non-retina).

I am debating between the new 13 vs 15 in macbook pros, either way I would max them out with 16 GB RAM and a 1 TB SSD.  Also, I plan to eventually get a good 24 or 27 in external monitor, for photo editing primarily.  I understand I can attach the macbook pro to an external monitor (eg. Dell U2413), leaving it in clamshell mode and using external keyboard and mouse/trackpad.

The advantage of the 13 in macbook pro is that the money I save (over the 15 in version) can almost pay for the external monitor.  But other than the advantage of the larger screen size (and disadvantage of larger size and weight), are there any other advantages to the 15 inch pro?  For example, I see that the 13 inch pro only comes with Intel Iris graphics, and the higher end 15 in models have graphics cards - will that make any difference, when using things like Lightroom and Photoshop?  Also, the 15 inch macbook pros all come with core i7 chips, and most of the 13 inch pros come with i5 (or the cost of upgrade to i7 makes it almost as much as the 15 in version) - again, for what I want to use it for, would the i7 make any difference over the i5?

thanks of any input

Neil

GadgetNeil's gear list:GadgetNeil's gear list
Sony a6000 Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro +3 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow