FZ1000 @400mm

Started Aug 4, 2014 | Discussions thread
halcb
halcb Regular Member • Posts: 415
Re: FZ1000 @400mm

The only reason some of us Pana owners may be downplaying the quality of the images we've seen so far from the FZ1000 is simply that some of them are positively 'underwhelming'. The OP's first two bird shots (and then a subsequent one of a young ballplayer holding a bat) are not exactly a ringing endorsement of this camera's image quality at/near full zoom and base ISO. I'm talking mainly from a SOOC jpeg perspective.  A subsequent image posted by the OP (ivy-covered stone wall with windows) was more encouraging, BUT that was a Raw capture processed in LR5 (and at ISO 125 and focal length around 22mm, I believe).  That said, I HAVE seen some very nice low-light, higher-ISO images SOOC being posted by some 'early adopters'...
To be clear: I'm not ready to cancel my order of the FZ1000.  But as someone who's used the FZ50, FZ35, FZ150 and FZ200 for landscapes, macros and (esp. with the FZ200) birding photography, I guess I had been hoping to be at least a little more impressed by now.
I hope to receive my new FZ1000 soon so that I can start shooting with it under a variety of conditions, at which point I'll come to my own conclusion about whether to keep it or not.  [I fully expect to keep it!]

For me, a big factor in that decision will be its ergonomics and handling.  It'll be tough to beat the old FZ50 in terms of 'form factor' and handling/ease of use, but I am keeping an open mind about this "new kid on the block"!

-- hide signature --

Hal in the Blue Ridge Mountains
(North Carolina, USA)

halcb's gear list:halcb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic FZ1000 Pentax K-30 +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow