Panasonic Decision To Make 100-300 f4 zoom a great idea...

Started Jul 31, 2014 | Discussions thread
Gregm61 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,242
Re: Maybe they didn't think it could compete

DonSC wrote:

Falk from Hamburg wrote:

The long range is whats really missing in m43 system. Too bad Panasonic seems to think otherwise. They propably want to see how the Olympus 300 prime sells. In all honesty though I have no use for a 300mm prime and think the market for the 100-300 f4 zoom is MUCH larger. Hopefully panasonic really does reconsider.

Maybe they didn't think they could compete with the Oly prime on quality and price. If the zoom cost a lot more and wasn't as good, they might have a very slow seller on their hands. That's all I can think of because, as you say, a 100-300mm zoom is much more versatile than a 300mm prime.

But either one should round out the lens selection, especially if the prime comes with a TC.

The one lens I always wanted/wished for when I was using the Olympus DSLR system, was the 100-300mm f4 HSM Sigma zoom, which they unfortunately never released in the Four-Thirds mount. If I had a choice between the upcoming Olympus 40-150mm f2.8 and a Panasonic 100-300mm f4, I'm not sure I wouldn't eventually buy both. I already own both the Olympus 12-40/2.8 as well as the Panasonic 12-35, 35-100mm f2.8's, use the two standard lenses interchangeably with my E-M1 and often take them both so I have a backup in case something happens to the one I am using.

I would also buy a 100-300mm f4 zoom over a 300mm f2.8 prime any and every day.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Leica M9 Olympus E-M1 Leica M (Typ 262) Olympus E-M1 II Leica M-P (Typ 240) +30 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow