Lens vs Camera: The FF APS-C Dilemma

Started Aug 3, 2014 | Discussions thread
Miki Nemeth
Miki Nemeth Senior Member • Posts: 1,446
Jeff Addicott (jefenator): shooting legacy lenses and pixel-peeping

Jefenator wrote:

But I'm shooting all legacy glass on my A7 - dedicated FE optics will not be in my budget for a while. If you don't pixel peep so much (and you probably shouldn't - it's a terrible habit)

As always, the more you wait, the more you save. I just had to get my A7 last December and have no regrets, except maybe a little twinge when I see them on sale now for $200 less

Hi Jeff, words from my heart, Friend. This is not the first time, I read your comments, that match exactly what I think about fun photography.

Since my daughter took over my A7, I have been shooting with an APS mirrorless, Fujifilm X-A1 (as far as I know sporting a 16M Sony sensor), and I am missing the full-frame kind of thinking a bit. I went so far that I've bought a Metabones Speed Booster, which is a brilliant tool, and now I can use my APS as if it were a full-frame system. It's a gorgeous camera for my legacy lenses, and it has great image quality, but honestly, APS cameras cannot come close to my ex-A7 in terms of DoF, FoV, low-light, dynamic range and IQ handling. It's just a myth that the APS lenses are smaller than the full-frame equivalent lenses, here is a myth-buster comparison I compiled recently to me myself to see clearly the picture, instead of believing myths: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54109810

I would not give any piece of advice to the original poster: every cameras I have are terrific: Nikon V1, Sony A7, Fujifilm X-A1, I love all my lenses and gear, I'll never sell any of them. I share my story only as a fellow fun photographer example.

My daughter, the new owner of my ex-A7, took this photo recently with the A7 and her favorite lens a Canon FD 80-200mm/f4L. Do you need pixel-peeping here?

Take care and have fun, Miki

Miki Nemeth's gear list:Miki Nemeth's gear list
Sony a5100 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow