New to Capture One

Started Aug 1, 2014 | Discussions thread
Ron AKA Veteran Member • Posts: 4,875
Re: Different Origins and Philosophies

ImageAmateur wrote:

MiraShootsNikon wrote:

...This is the big reason why Capture One processes RAW with a very "finished" perspective--sharpened, rich color, full of tone. .... It's not a joke that a credible Capture One workflow can be (1) shoot > (2) import (if not tethered) > (3) tweak exposure (if necessary) > (4) export / done.

Never thought of it like that, but that does make sense.

Adobe Camera RAW has an Auto button as well, and I presume Lr does. Those who are particular with their RAW image development, may prefer to start with a real RAW image instead of a partly pre-cooked one though.

(I have often thought that the above workflow--shoot, import, tweak exposure, export--with Capture One Express is the definitive answer for folks who want a better-than-JPEG result but dislike the idea of serious time and effort with RAW proofing.)

Many folks regard Capture One and Lightroom as complementary rather than competitive tools. A common workflow might be Session-based RAW conversion in Capture One, TIFFed into Lightroom (or catalogued in Bridge) for asset management, quick Photoshop / plug-in round-trips, and easy multi-format export. That approach gives you the best of both--Capture One's excellent RAW conversion, Lightroom's excellent management and extensibility--without too much hassle.

Hmmmmm, did not really think of that either. Understood. I guess where one depends on filing /managing and exporting a whole host of images on a regular basis, that makes sense also.

I may be failing to see it, but it strikes me that Capture One Pro 7's Catalog does pretty much the same thing as Lr. In fact, I would suggest it has been copied from Lr. Prior to having the Catalog option C1P7 only had Sessions as an image management tool, and it is quite specialized in purpose.

Ron AKA's gear list:Ron AKA's gear list
Sony RX100 Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow