Image keeper rate. (Motorsport)

Started Jul 31, 2014 | Discussions thread
Jim Salvas
Jim Salvas Veteran Member • Posts: 5,515
Experience, Sales & Equipment

These other photogs are obviously in it as event photographers and have a lot of experience shooting these very events -- for money.

Note that one even gives car owners a discount on prints if they put one of her stickers on their cars. This is not just photography, it's marketing.

I imagine, looking at the best of these, that these other photogs not only have an edge on you in experience, but also in terms of equipment. Were I shooting such events for profit, I'd be using nothing less than the biggest, fastest lenses and humungous, sports-oriented bodies. You're shooting a D7100 with what appears to be a moderate, not terribly fast zoom. That's a nice combo for most photography, but for this, I would want to use a D4s with at least a 300/2.8 telephoto.

EDIT: I looked at the EXIF data for some of Fiona's shots and she's shooting a D300s (which puts her AF capability on a par with yours), but a 300/2.8, which she shoots mostly near wide open at fast shutter speeds for those close-up action shots.

ONE MORE: I used to shoot a D300 and one of the useful features for fast action shooting was the "release + focus" priority mode. When shooting action sequences, this typically will allow the camera to snap off a very quick first frame -- in focus or not -- and then to acquire focus by the second frame. This may explain those odd numbered "keeper" rates you noticed.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretzky

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow