After two years, what you think of your OM-D E-M5 ?

Started Jul 29, 2014 | Photos thread
NCV
NCV Veteran Member • Posts: 6,826
The camera that saved my back

My black EM5 with a Lumix 12-35 2.8 is my constant travel companion. It hangs from my shoulder without giving me backache after a while like my old D300 + 17-55 2.8 lens did.

For photographic trips it gets joined by a second silver  EM5 and a GX1 both of which I bought quite cheaply second hand and so I avoid the risk of dust whilst changing lenses whilst hiking in often windy places..

The EM5 is still one of the best cameras I have ever owned  up there with the indestructible Nikon 801,s that I used for theatrical photography many moons ago.  I love the compactness and lightness of this camera which also punches above its weight in image quality if you shoot Raw. Now that I have got used to the menus and all the dials and buttons I can use the camera without thinking too much and I find it much more usable and flexible  than the GX1.

I have just got back from a couple of days in Portofino where I did a gruelling ten hour hike in the nearby national park as well as photographing the town. Wandering around in the hot Italian summer  and for long hikes I find the EM5 the perfect camera. ( Perhaps the EM1 and GH4 are a bit too bulky for the same image quality for my taste, defeating the M43 concept a bit in my opinion.).

I usually hike in the mountains  with a EM5 + Lumix 12-35  over my shoulder or round my neck for the difficult bits and the other bodies with other lenses attached thrown into in my rucksack without any particular care. My “main” camera has taken quite a beating over the last 18 months and has proved quite a rugged camera.

Portofino

San Fruttuoso, Portofino

Portofino National Park

Portofino. To pass this narrow ledge above a 100m shear drop one edges along by hanging onto the chains. My camera banging against the rocks came second to hanging on for dear life.

Mostly with my EM5,s http://nigelvoak.blogspot.it/

NCV's gear list:NCV's gear list
Nikon D300 Olympus OM-D E-M5
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
grm
(unknown member)
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow