After two years, what you think of your OM-D E-M5 ?

Started Jul 29, 2014 | Photos thread
joergzielosko Regular Member • Posts: 394
Planned obsolescence?

kirthgersen25 wrote:

I wanted to know what's your opinion on your OM-D E-M5 after he came out in the market two years ago.

I have mine since April 2012, and am still fully satisfied with the results. Of cause this is also due to the quality of the lenses - I built up a remarable collection of them

What bothers me is the build quality of the camera. The contacts of the mode dial are unreliable, sometimes the camera switches constantly between A and P without being touched. Pressing firmly on the mode dial helps in that situation. All buttons are mushy (to be honest - they were from the start), and sometimes button "clicks" are not recognized at all.

I have no real problem with these issues. But if such simple things fail after two years of usage, I fear the worst regarding IBIS and shutter mechanism. I am also afraid that the traditional rule "lenses are forever" doesn't apply to these electronic gadgets containing glass elements. Miniature motors for focus and aperture, complex electronics on tiny PCBs, and lots of contacts will fail sooner or later if not designed and built very well.

joergzielosko's gear list:joergzielosko's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
grm
(unknown member)
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow