Camera for Travel?

Started Jul 29, 2014 | Discussions thread
LynniePad
LynniePad Senior Member • Posts: 3,385
Re: Camera for Travel?

jaynbay112 wrote:

Well, I have a T5i with an 18-55 and 50mm 1.8, not exactly amazing, but enough for me. My problem is, I'm travelling to italy in a few months and wanted to bring a camera to record the memory of such an iconic event. Could anyone suggest what I could get? Mirrorless, old dslr, film slr idc! Thanks for the help!

I'm off to Italy in next year, and I initially had the same thoughts. I even had a look at a Sony RX100 III, but I've decided to take my normal travel gear which is:

• Nikon D3200
  • Sigma 17-70mm
  • Sigma 10-20mm
  • Nikon 35mm f/1.8
  • Small camera bag, spare SD cards, spare battery, charger, Euro AC adaptor.

From my experience in cities, your 50mm f/1.8 will not be wide enough; I'm only taking my 35mm f/1.8 because I have a CP filter for it and it might be handy for the maritime sections of our holiday; 35mm should be OK in those situations. It's not as fast as my 30mm f/1.4, but it's much lighter.

I'd recommend that you think about a wide angle lens. I'm not "Canonised" myself, but I believe that there's a new 10-18mm lens available for the Canon.

Speaking of canonisation, the following visitor advice for the Vatican is supposed to be typical of tourist attractions in Italy. Note the restrictions on bag size.

Vatican hints

Not Italy, but you get the idea; Sigma 10-20mm

Centre crop of the above image.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow