200mm f/2 VRI, am I crazy?

Started Jul 23, 2014 | Discussions thread
xtm Senior Member • Posts: 1,153
Re: 200mm f/2 VRI, am I crazy?

Martyn - good stuff. Love that capture of the little girl kissing the boy

Catz - Congrats on the green light. As they say 'happy wife = happy life' I do have to bring up a few important points about this lens... things I've learned from years of shooting with it.

#1 on the list is AF Fine tuning. Extremely important! These fast tele primes benefit a LOT from AF Fine tuning. Although mine needed 0 adjustment on the Df, I found that it needs a -15 on the D800E! But after that, it's razor sharp and amazingly accurate.

Second... the attention it gets... Yes, the lens attracts a LOT of attention, and you will get tired of it fast. When I go to the zoo, sometimes I end up spending more time explaining what this lens is to people than actually shooting with it, which can get annoying sometimes. My solution is to get a good backpack so I can stow it away when not in use, and prevent unwanted attention. I found that the Lowepro Flipside 400 and ThinkTank StreetWalker bags do the job fantastically.

Because it attracts attention, you need to be more aware of your surroundings and watch out for shady characters who might want to mug you. Which brings us to the next point which is...

INSURANCE. If you don't have one, it's time to get one. I have AllState which covers all my gear and I pay about $200 /yr. as a rider to my home insurance. Call them NOW.

Handling - It's not your girlfriend's 70-200 VR that you can stow away pretty much anywhere there's a space in your bag. The 200/2 will require its OWN bag and you plan how you put your other lenses around it. The lens plus the hood will take up a significant amount of space in your bag and lugging it on a trip inside an already cramped car will need some planning.

Lens Hood - ALWAYS use the hood. Yes, it's big and inconvenient, but its purpose is to protect that big fat chunk o glass in front of the lens. Don't lose it though, because that's $800 to replace. YES, $800 just for the hood, therefore USE IT.

Lens strap - I use the Nikon LN-1 lens strap. You use this strap to tote the lens around with the body attached to it. NEVER use the camera strap when it's attached to this lens.

LENS foot - I use a long Hejnar foot which is A/S compatible. I chose the long version because it also doubles as a handle, like this:

And finally, the LENS CAP. Some people use the third party Don Zeck cap.. some people use a Folgers lid... but I found that the lid on my Protein Shake fits the lens perfectly. Go out, take pics with 200 f/2, build up your biceps, drink protein shake, then use the lid as lens cap. Done. You can then laugh at those who complain that the 70-200 is big and heavy

xtm's gear list:xtm's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xtm
xtm
xtm
xtm
xtm
xtm
xtm
(unknown member)
xtm
xtm
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
xtm
xtm
xtm
(unknown member)
xtm
xtm
xtm
xtm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow