Telephoto Dilemma: Balancing Portability, Speed, Cost, and Focal Length

Started Jul 27, 2014 | Discussions thread
gstadter Regular Member • Posts: 239
Re: Telephoto Dilemma: Balancing Portability, Speed, Cost, and Focal Length

One more quick mention... DXOMark.

As many others, I am very unsure of DXOMark's "overall score" ona any given lens. I personally disregarded it, when using DXOMark's data in my decision process.

P-Mpix.... LOTS of discussions on this forum, and others, as to what this means or doesn't, but my understanding from reading AND comparing, is you could boil it down to "how well does the lens resolve on a given/specific body. Numerous folks have argued the accuracy of this specific statistic for lenses on DXOMark, but after nearly two months of comparing DXOMarks' P-Mpx, transmission, Distortion, Vignetting, & Chr aberration stats for each lens with actual photos and countless feedback from actual reviewers and users of the lenses, I really did find that folks' experiences with lenses, with extremely rare exception, mirrored DXOMarks' data, even if you discount their 'overall score'.

-Gary

-- hide signature --

'We truly fail only when we quit.'

gstadter's gear list:gstadter's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
DWM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow