D810 does sports, protests, and sitting in a bar in one day

Started Jul 27, 2014 | Discussions thread
scokill Veteran Member • Posts: 4,760
Re: None of the pictures are outstanding.

nathantw wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

Since there are no EXIF data I can’t comment on technical aspects of the pictures but I am afraid that #1, #2 photos are mediocre, #3 photo is badly exposed and #4 well exposed but distracting.

-- hide signature --

I am a cosmic dust which happens to be a human.

Your comments are welcome, but I would have liked to see the types of pictures you take as a comparison so I could know what excellence in photography is all about.

I agree that the protest picture is blah, but as I said, I just took a snapshot, but I used it because you could see the dynamic range of highlight and shadow. The restaurant/bar was used not because it was the most awesome photograph but because people might be interested to see how the 24mm f/1.4G behaves wide open in a lower light setting. That's why I uploaded both pictures in full resolution.

The other two photographs could have been more tightly cropped, but you know, I think it was a good job considering what I had to work with...the crowd, tall people in front of me, iPhones in front of the camera, a dunk that takes less than 1 second to develop, and standing pretty far way. Since you don't have photos I can't compare your photos to mine. Pity, since you probably worked for SI with special passes to be under the basket during the dunks.

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathantw/
Always have a camera with you and make sure you use it.

They all look underexposed to me.   What were your settings? P, S, A M?  What was metering, Focus mode etc.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GBJ
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow