Weird monochrome fringe on intensely colored flower, wtf is happening here?

Started Jul 27, 2014 | Questions thread
Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 19,665
Re: Weird monochrome fringe on intensely colored flower, wtf is happening here?

If you look carefully, there is a halo (either dark or light) around everything in the photo. It is just that the dark edges are more noticeable. What I suspect has occurred is that you are oversharpening and that is accentuating the effect of the saturation.

That is, you increase the saturation and the edge of the flowers, which curl down, cause the edges of the flowers to be a bit in shadow. (note how the portions of the flower edges that most directly face the camera and are more evenly lit have lighter 'dark edges' than those portions that might fall into greater shadow.)

Then, since sharpening is really just a form of selective contrast control, The edges with the most shadow get 'sharpened' (darkened) more than you want. Like I said, it seems to be happening throughout the photo but the dark edges overpower the lighter, more subtle edges.

SOME ADVICE YOU DIDN'T ASK FOR!

Everything seems out of focus. I wonder if you are adding the extra sharpening in an effort to make up for the lack of natural optical sharpness. You might want to review your focusing technique, or try to determine if you lens has some focusing problems. (shoot something at a known distance away, set the camera manually for that distance and see if it is in focus.)

-- hide signature --

I look good fat, I'm gonna look good old. . .
http://glenbarrington.blogspot.com/

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow