200mm f/2 VRI, am I crazy?

Started Jul 23, 2014 | Discussions thread
xtm Senior Member • Posts: 1,154
Re: 70-200VR "I" vs "II" and 200VR

Buy it, use the hell out of it, and if it doesn't suit you, sell it. I don't know anyone who lost money on this lens.... if anything, they've MADE money with it. You may lose money on shipping, but consider that a the rental fee.

College fund for the kid? Kid's probably a toddler. He's got more than a decade to save. But kids grow up so fast you'd kick yourself because you didn't capture them with the best stuff available when they were young. I know because I still kick myself for only having a Sony Mavica in 1998 when my first kid was a toddler. No more cheaping out for me. The poor man pays twice!

70-200 VRII? Yes, great lens.. but do you want your shots to just be "another 70-200 shot"? In a sea of 70-200's, the 200 f/2 is king, and for a reason. I've shot weddings with the 200 f/2 and when I pull it out, the crowd parts like Red Sea. It commands respect. People know you're not playing around which means easier commanding of the crowd when it comes to event shooting or weddings.

Also, the 200/2 does NOT focus breathe like the 70-200 VRII. It's a true 200.

And finally, I've shot the 200/2 VR1 and VRII side by side and did not see any difference other than the better VR. I chose the VR1 and saved @2.5K

xtm's gear list:xtm's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xtm
xtm
xtm
xtm
xtm
xtm
xtm
(unknown member)
xtm
xtm
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
xtm
xtm
xtm
(unknown member)
xtm
xtm
xtm
xtm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow