Focal length 35mm equivalent, but not F-stop?

Started Jul 24, 2014 | Discussions thread
Erik Magnuson Forum Pro • Posts: 12,247
Re: A Camera Club Perspective

JBurnett wrote:

• I would estimate that 35 of them purchased their APS-C cameras with the kit lens, and had no concept of equivalencies at the time.

YMMV. In my club 35mm equivalent focal lengths are mentioned often. If your members had compact cameras previously, I'll bet almost none of them could have told you the actual focal length of the lenses. If anyone said "mm" instead of "3x", they would have used equivalence.

• Maybe 10 understand that there is a difference in depth of field between their camera and cameras with larger or smaller sensors. Only 3 would know where to go to calculate that equivalence (or would ever care to do so).

Again, I'll bet most actually do know this intuitively -- it's obvious when they use their cell phone camera. Or when they compare the results to their previous compact camera.

• Most members understand that if a light meter says f/4 at 1/60 at ISO 200 on one camera, they could use the same settings on a different camera

Since you say they mostly have similar cameras, that's reasonable. But would you tell the compact camera user to use ISO 3200 @ f/4 like the APS-C kit users?

• Only one person in the club really cares about equivalencies, because he shoots both full-frame and APS-C bodies at the same time.

Or if he has to talk to the APS-C users.

• The majority of time I've been drawn into a discussion about equivalencies, it has been a newer member who wants to move from a P&S to a DSLR or mirrorless. Equivalent focal lengths to what they see with their existing camera makes sense to them. 

The differences in noise or DOF never comes up?

-- hide signature --

Erik

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
tko
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow