Focal length 35mm equivalent, but not F-stop?

Started Jul 24, 2014 | Discussions thread
Chikoo
OP Chikoo Senior Member • Posts: 1,630
Re: Focal length 35mm equivalent, but not F-stop?

Beachcomber Joe wrote:

Chikoo wrote:

Beachcomber Joe wrote:

Why? Large format shooters have managed for years without f/stop equivalents. FF and APS-C don't need them. The only people to whom it seems to matter are MFT users. They are, they tell us, so much smarter and cleverer than the rest of us. That being the case I'm sure they have an app to figure it out themselves and don't need published figures.

Maybe they never needed them because practice told them which lens works best with their camera, and then they stick to it. Another reason why it is difficult for those to change systems because they are do not know how it will work with other cameras/formats.

Now if this was made simpler, it would be simpler for photographers to switch systems without being a first grade mathematician first.

Simpler?

I photograph a subject with my FF digital camera. The brightness I want in the photograph requires an exposure of 1/125 sec, F/11 at ISO 100. If I grab my old Crown Graphic, load it with ISO 100 film and shoot at 1/125 sec, f/11 the resulting photograph will have the same brightness level as the FF image. Taking a MFT camera, exposing at 1/125 sec., f/11 at ISO 100 again the resulting photograph will have the same brightness as the FF digital and medium format film cameras.

No math is required because the same settings produce the same exposure regardless of format or sensor. How much simpler do you want it to be?

I had my lens set at 35mm on my 35mm camera.

On my APS-C, Should I set it at 35mm? and get the same frame?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
tko
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow