200mm f/2 VRI, am I crazy?

Started Jul 23, 2014 | Discussions thread
anotherMike Veteran Member • Posts: 8,951
Re: 200mm f/2 VRI, am I crazy?

If I may add a few more thoughts:

1) The 180/2.8 also was made as a AF lens. Decent design optically, a touch dated on a modern high rez body, but not horribly so. However, NOWHERE in the same level of quality as the 200/2

2) Regarding the 70-200/2.8G VR-I and VR-II. I owned the VR-I and wasn't planning to upgrade to the VR-II until I got a chance to evaluate it. Entirely different class of lens - sharper at 200mm, better contrast, and more importantly, better microcontrast. But the BIG thing about the VR-II was that in close distance ranges it was CONSIDERABLY closer in quality to the 200/2 from about F/4 onwards compared to the VR-I. The VR-II was designed for very accurate and fast AF and excellent close to moderate distance performance (where it blows the VR-I out of the water, and remember, I own the 200/2 too so I'm not a stranger to lenses here), but the tradeoff was the design meant some focus breathing. The VR-II also improved over the VR-I in terms of sharpness at distance - however, at distance the 200/2 simply has no peer in this range and it's still the king. The surprising thing was that there were times if I didn't need F/2 or F/2.8 that I felt I could use the VR-II in close distance ranges INSTEAD of the 200/2 and not really take a large hit on image quality. When I owned the VR-I, I took a large hit on image quality (compared to the 200/2) at any distance range. The VR-II is simply another level better lens than the VR-I on an FX body - if it wasn't, I wouldn't have paid full retail for it when it came out given I already had the 105/2 DC, VR-I, and 200/2 at the time. BTW, the VR-II tested sharper in my evaluations than the 105/2 DC in both long AND close distance ranges, which I didn't expect.

This all being said, renting a 200/2 isn't a bad idea given the size/weight, unless you know a friend locally who can let you borrow one

-m

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xtm
xtm
xtm
xtm
xtm
xtm
xtm
(unknown member)
xtm
xtm
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
xtm
xtm
xtm
(unknown member)
xtm
xtm
xtm
xtm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow