200mm f/2 VRI, am I crazy?

Started Jul 23, 2014 | Discussions thread
bgmonroe Junior Member • Posts: 33
Re: Very heavy, I rarely use

TwistaCatz wrote:

bgmonroe wrote:

maljo@inreach.com wrote:

It's just too heavy to carry around. If you need to shoot at f2 and 200 mm then that 's the lens to get, but I have found I rarely use it. The 70-200 zoom is also excellent at the long end.

The 200 f2 is truly an excellent lens, but I find my 300 f2.8 and 500 f4 much more useful.

maljo

I agree with malio 100%. I rarely ever use mine as well (will probably sell it). If you really want a new lens, you would do better to sell your 70-200 VR1 and buy the 70-200 VR2. You will find it a MUCH more useful (and lighter) lens than the 200. The 200/2 is really a specialty lens. If you really feel strongly about getting it, I'd say rent it for a weekend first and see how you feel about it then.

Brett

Brett,

I appreciate your comment but why would I buy the 70-200 VRII and how is that relevant to this discussion? How is the 70-200mm VRII more useful then the older version?

The VR2 is a better lens then the VR1.  It's better in almost every way (faster focusing, better contrast, better VR, etc).  I mention it only as a way to satisfy the G.A.S. (and a way to save you money).  If you are really happy with the VR1, then I'd say don't get any lens 200mm lens.

I thought about renting the 200mm it but the pricing to rent it seems to high to me. Also I really don't feel the need to as I'm more interested in the results that it produces which I can view online, ya know? I know it's heavy but I really don't care. Beyond it being heavy you really can't knock it.

Wait, you are ready to drop $4k on a lens but renting for the weekend (~$100 in Seattle) is too much?

Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic lens.  But remember, it's an expensive lens.  The people that tend to buy these lenses are professional photographers and they tend to take really good photos (regardless of the tool).  Just because you see lots of great photos with this lens doesn't mean the lens will make all your photos great.  Sorry, I certainly don't mean any disrespect but I think a lot of the people reading these forums tend to think that all they need to do to get great photos is great gear and it just isn't true.

Brett

bgmonroe's gear list:bgmonroe's gear list
Nikon D700 Leica M9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xtm
xtm
xtm
xtm
xtm
xtm
xtm
(unknown member)
xtm
xtm
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
xtm
xtm
xtm
(unknown member)
xtm
xtm
xtm
xtm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow