Tango - Sony a99 / Rokinon 35mm f/1.4

Started Jul 24, 2014 | Discussions thread
OP moimoi Veteran Member • Posts: 4,158
Re: Tango - Sony a99 / Rokinon 35mm f/1.4

Chimere wrote:

Yes, you confirm well that we are on different pages with regard to photography, which should give fertile ground for beneficial discussions. Finally, we do this - CC's ? - perhaps to learn from each other, but at least accomplish understanding ?

Not necessarily. I do this to get feedback, and I got some, then I move on, and decide what to do and what not to do next. It seems to be the general feeling on this board, but I got quite some different feedback somewhere else. It is actually quite interesting to get both sides, it is in fact instructive.

If the condition of the male dancer - the central eye catching topic in the image - is of no importance to the image, what is ?

You said "The male looks to me like an out of place mannequin". Tell me how it is relevant in photography. Whether he is a good looking chap or not has absolutely no relevance in what the photograph is about.

What I can tell you is that this guy was probably a MUCH better dancer than most of us.

The A99 and the Rokinon 35 mm may be a terrific combo, yes, for street photography. But surely not for all situations. In my opinion, not for this one - if it is dance: "Tango". Dance is an intimate "thing", needs expression of closeness. Difficult to do with a WA. To lift the performers off the background, limited DOF is needed. Detail - facial expressions ? - are hard to capture with it.

I think it is more a style than anything else. I typically don't follow rules, and follow more my instinct, and it seems to work best for me. My best shots are generally those that break the golden rules.

Finally, the problem then with your image may be the title indicating the story it is supposed to tell.

It is just some Tango, nothing else, nothing more.

What have others to say to the topic ?

-- hide signature --

Photography is about time, space, expression, and - ultimately - capturing light. This formula may sound easy, but actually capturing the "ideal" photograph is far more complex to accomplish as our own perceptions and responses vary according to each individual. Photography is inherently driven by human subjectivity, but the general feeling is that a superb photograph is widely appreciated, as it commonly depicts a striking and universal concept. I believe this process should be sought by many of us, who deeply enjoy capturing and sharing photographs that embrace life and depict what we are.

moimoi's gear list:moimoi's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow