Film Photography: How any could masrer film and darkroom work?

Started Jul 24, 2014 | Discussions thread
Art Jacks Senior Member • Posts: 2,868
Re: Film Photography: How any could masrer film and darkroom work?

I certainly did not take hundreds of shot hoping to get one right in my starting out days, working with 5x4 cameras concentrated the mind on ensuring that the viewpoint was suitable, there was nothing distracting or unwanted intruding into the image, then there was the camera operation, dark cloth over head, focussing the inverted image on the screen, closing the aperture to give the required DoF, take exposure reading with a hand held meter, apply settings to lens, insert dark slide, remove sheath and turn it ready to replace after making the exposure, cock shutter and fire, replace sheath and remove dark slide. This may seem long winded but it taught me to check everything before making the exposure, this is a discipline I follow to this day even though I now am totally digital, make sure everything that is possible is done in camera which saves time back at the computer.

I enjoyed my darkroom days but would not want to return to that system, my digital image adjustments do not involve any more than I would have done in a wet darkroom, contrast adjustment, some local dodging and burning and a small amount of cropping but it is all done before a piece of printing paper is used, none of the ' it's nearly right but needs a little more printing in in that corner etc ' must be better for the planet ?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
tko
hdr
hdr
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow