200mm f/2 VRI, am I crazy?

Started Jul 23, 2014 | Discussions thread
TwistaCatz
OP TwistaCatz Regular Member • Posts: 144
Re: Have You Considered . . .

Wow I would like to thank everyone for the overwhelming feedback. You guys have pretty much solidified what I was already thinking.

MartynD200

Thanks for the advice, I think I'm leading towards getting it. The pictures from your thread sell the lens alone. You've got my dying with your "old boy" comment. I often think the same thing when I hear people complain about the weight of the 70-200 f/2.8, it's like really?

xtm

Thanks for the advice. I was planing to finance the lens some how instead of paying for it outright to limit the hit on my bank account. It's good to hear the weight is not super overwhelming. I love the comment about the look on people faces when you pull out the lens. Also thank you for sharing those precious pictures of your daughter which also sell the lens.

Leonard Migliore

Good to hear you think it's a perfect lens. I can understand the weight can be a turn off for some but sometimes you have to pay the cost to be the boss.

anotherMike

Thanks for pointing out the quality of the mount on the D600, I never really thought about that or heard about it not being able to support the weight of the heavier lenses. I guess I'll just have to be extra careful. Thanks for also for sharing your thoughts on the DC series of lenses.

maljo@inreach.com

I do enjoy the 70-200mm at 200mm 2.8 which I think is part of the reason I want more of the same with better results. I'm sure the 300 f2.8 and 500 f4 are awesome but for portraits?

Rexgig0

This lens is definitely not for most situations but for portraits it's hard to do better. I think to capture precious memories of my child is enough of a reason to justify this beast.

Van Griff

Thanks for offering an alternative. While I do like the output of the 105 and 135 DC it's definitely different. The one thing that I enjoy the about 70-200mm at 200mm is the way that it isolates your subject and creates creamy backgrounds. The 105 and 135 DC produce great pictures but it's just a different look. An alternative that I could see myself getting is the 58mm 1.4 but I keep going back to the lens that cost as much as a used car. Thanks for sharing!

A lot of great info guys, thanks again!

TwistaCatz's gear list:TwistaCatz's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Sony a6300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xtm
xtm
xtm
xtm
xtm
xtm
xtm
(unknown member)
xtm
xtm
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
xtm
xtm
xtm
(unknown member)
xtm
xtm
xtm
xtm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow