200mm f/2 VRI, am I crazy?

Started Jul 23, 2014 | Discussions thread
RBFresno
RBFresno Forum Pro • Posts: 12,565
Re: 200mm f/2 VRI, re: "Heaviness"

MartynD2oo wrote:

The weight is no problem whatsoever (for me). I can understand how maybe some of the 'old boys' or people with physical disabilities could suffer with the extra few grams but for normal guys its a non topic. Like was mentioned before the first few times you use it you feel it, but you soon get used to it, no big deal.
--
Martyn

Hi Martyn.

I'm 63. Although i do get a bit tired using the 200VR hand held for over four or five hours, I consider its weight almost a a non-issue after years of hand holding a 200-400VR and more recently a 500VR (which I admit, I like to use on a monopod).

Here I am hand holding the 200VR:

And to the OP, I am also an amateur, but there are few photogrpahic purchases that I've enjoyed as much as the 200VR.

Some 200VR pics here:

200VR Pics from pBase Gallery

Also to the OP, , please refer back to my comments on Martyn's prior thread for more of my thoughts about the 200VR;

200VR Thread

I was looking through some old images this week and found this one.

Not the best shot I've taken. But it was taken while I was on a casual walk in the local park, near after sunset. And even though it was a hand held "snapshot" and the exposure just 1/25th sec, the VR and the 200VR optics helped at least get something:

Nikon D4 ,Nikkor 200mm f/2G IF-ED AF-S VR
1/25s f/3.2 at 200.0mm iso1600

If I had enough set up time, I might have increased the ISO, opened up the aperture, and maybe stepped back a bit to preserve a usable DOF. Butit seemed as if  the OP was talking about a casual photographer talking snapshots with a 200VR, and I'd say, 'go for it!"

With a little more set up time a better lighting, of course things get better :

Best Regards.

RB

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D4 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xtm
xtm
xtm
xtm
xtm
xtm
xtm
(unknown member)
xtm
xtm
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
xtm
xtm
xtm
(unknown member)
xtm
xtm
xtm
xtm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow