Milwaukee Art Museum - CC Please

Started Jul 18, 2014 | Photos thread
yyr
yyr Veteran Member • Posts: 9,447
Re: Milwaukee Art Museum - Alternate to fourth one

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

Man, it's an inch from perfection (below). But that inch is in yer (my) face. If the railing alignment f/g was due to how it's made, at least I couldn't blame myself for not getting it just so (it's that significant IMO to the entire composition). Bummer, 'cause it's otherwise very exciting (I'm given the impression of a futuristic Navy vessel setting out to sea - the start of an adventure). Soft as all get out, but here's it's not so much about nose-close detail, it's the whole view at a glance that grabs me. I'd make a virtual copy and put a 1:1 crop on it, just to see how that looks centered and more isolated from the left structure. Not sure if having it more symmetrical is to trite, but that's what I'd check out.

So do you like this one better? Note: It is taken at 14mm not 7mm. Same lens, though.

2nd is fab. The thing I believe about UWA is that it's as much about about shooting and composition style as it is about focal length. I think you've just demonstrated that.

Personally, I like the distortion that you can get at 7mm but only if you make it part of the compositional story. The shot with the cars wrapped around the pole is a good example. Leaving aside the issue of the building behind, the distortion in that image really adds interest and character. Maybe less so with this kind of shot.

This city girl is going on holiday next week in the rural south of france. I will be trying out some landscape photography

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------
"No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer It has chosen." - Minor White

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
yyr
yyr
yyr
yyr
yyr
yyr
yyr
yyr
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow