Do higher MP camera require faster shutter speeds?

Started Jul 22, 2014 | Questions thread
ormdig
ormdig Senior Member • Posts: 2,021
Re: Sometimes I'm too lazy to set up a tripod

Marianne Oelund wrote:

AM4L wrote:

Is that what this amounts to is very stable or very fast or both on D8X0's?

If your goal is to maintain per-pixel sharpness, then yes, you generally need to increase shutter speed in proportion to image width in pixels (for a given format).

That is not to say that lower shutter speeds are unusable. One recent evening, I wanted to compare the corner quality of the Nikon 50mm primes to my new Sigma 50 Art, and couldn't be bothered to set up a tripod. I used 1/100 sec shutter speed and had little difficulty with motion blur.

The comparison was surprising. I had known that the Nikkors weren't anything special at close distance, but I didn't expect the difference to be so stark.

Just for fun, since it was handy, I used the Zeiss 135/2 APO for the last shot before retiring, moving back to 1.5m shooting distance. Shutter speed was still 1/100, but it worked fine for this hand-held shot. Lower-left corner 100% crops from D800E:

Having the Zeiss, I'm not sure if I still need to keep my macro lenses.

I think if thats the case then maybe ISO improvements need to come faster than more pixels for non studio shooters?

Today's Bayer sensors are near the theoretical limit already. If you want a significant ISO improvement, look for someone to introduce a monochrome sensor.

-- hide signature --

Qualities possessed by God in infinite proportion: Love, Grace, Power, Righteousness, Wisdom, . . .
Qualities possessed by humans in infinite proportion: Ignorance.
- Marianne

Hi Marianne, the Zeiss is very impressive. Curious which Nikon 50 and what apertures you used.

This brings up another aspect of the whole IQ question and that is the role the lens plays in all this. I think it's huge with high MP sensors. I don't even use my Nikon 50s anymore unless I have to have that focal length at less than 2.8 because the D800s have proven them a weak link even on a tripod, mirror up etc. I say that although the 58mm isn't particularly sharp by all accounts but I would take one in a heartbeat if I could afford the extravagance.  Once I realized what could be done with this camera, just handheld with a good lens I've become a somewhat arrogant critic of my own work, heartless in fact. What was at one time good enough is deleted ruthlessly now.

In all honesty I think I've had more fun in the last year and a half seeing how far I can push my equipment and being rewarded time and again with far better results than I expected that I look for excuses to shoot.

-- hide signature --

Pete

ormdig's gear list:ormdig's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow