"Image resolution" - how would you interpret it?

Started Jul 20, 2014 | Discussions thread
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 24,689
Re: I would ignore it normally

corella45 wrote:

darklamp wrote:

I am doing a little research as to how people interpret the term "image resolution".

Dreadful expression.

I gave up worry about resolution numbers completely as the main issue is how the image looks as a whole.

Could you please frankly answer the following question:

Frankly ? Just how personal do you think this is ?

when asked "what is this image resolution?" would you answer something like '900x600' or '72dpi'?

I would answer "Forget resolution, worry about the image as a whole.".

The only context I'd worry about pixel counts or dpi numbers is if I was explicitly asked to provide an image with an least a certain pixel size or able to be printed at a given quality and size. Otherwise those values are not generally important to me.

My goal was to be able to print large sizes at a standard printing resolution of 300dpi. I mentioned my intention to the salesperson and she assured me the images on the CD were 'high resolution' and OK for that task.

Ok, that's easy.  First, however, you'll need to completely ignore the 'ppi' that's reported by Photoshop or other software packages.  It's a randomly assigned parameter.

Now to figure out the largest print you can make at 300 ppi, merely divide the length or width, as given in pixels, by 300.  If the image is, for example 3000 pixels wide the print can be 3000/3000 = 10" wide while maintaining 300 ppi.  If the height is, for example, 2000 pixels then it can be up to 2000/300 = 6.67" high and still maintain 300 ppi. 
So if you want to print an 8" x 10" at 300ppi, the image will need to be a minimum of 2400 (8x300) by 3000 (10x300) pixels.

The important thing is to disregard the arbitrary ppi setting.

Mark

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow