Tripod now(Sirui T-1204X vs T-2205X) or wait?

Started Jul 21, 2014 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Freeman-Jo Senior Member • Posts: 2,584
Tripod now(Sirui T-1204X vs T-2205X) or wait?

preface: Just like many people before me, I made the same mistake and brought a cheap tripod long time ago and don't use it as often. Well, I am not using it is another problem; but when it try to use it, it seem clunky and hard to use and not to mention doesn't seem stable. Fast forward to recent days, I have own a Sirui carbon fiber and like it. Many review seem to suggest that the brand seem to carry something worthwhile. For the value, it seem all-round, Sirui is the best bang for the buck in most category. And here come the first question.

Still, unlike many good brand before it, when people say they have use xx, yy or zz series tripod for years and it never fail them, I think that's something most people can't say about Sirui brand yet. If anyone have lengthy experience on Sirui brand, you are welcome to chime in.

Then, there is photokina coming shortly. Is there a reason to wait? It's not like I'm in a hurry, I got cheap old tripod, not very good, but it's still a tripod and better than hand-holding. I wouldn't think there would be information leaks on the tripod news like in the smartphone markets, but how often say if a company announce a new tripod and shortly after have it available for sale?

Consider my gears set, I have both 1D mark III and 5D mark III, the biggest lens I have is probably Sigma 100-300mm f/4 APO HSM. My sling bag is about 20lbs with all the gears I normally carry excluding the tripod/monopod. Once taking the body and lens out, it's probably 12-15lbs left in the bag that can be use with the bottom hook. I don't travel international a lot, at most once or twice a year, so the size of the tripod does mean something. So far, I drill down to the Sirui T-1204x and T-2205x. Both of them are carbon fiber. I skip the T-1205x series because I feel the leg diameter maybe a bit too small at 13mm at the smallest section while the other two are 16mm at smallest. The 1204 would be 4 section, slightly longer at 15.8 inches and 1.76lbs while the 2205 is 5 section at 14.6 inches and 2.43lbs. As you can see both with a decent ball head would get it close to 20inches for the carry on bag length. BTW, I didn't mention the head because I already order one on Amazon(not from amazon but fulfill by amazon). I got the Sirui G-20x because it was onsale to less than $70, just as cheap as the C-10x ball head. There was two left, so I grab them both. (so I lied about order one through amazon). I hope people have followed by logical decision so far and can give me a sounded recommendation.

The stats of the tripod I taken it from the Sirui Canada website .

And thank you for your time and advice.

Memorandum question #1: One differentiater of the 1xxx vs 2xxx series is the fact that the later models have the retractable spike on the feet but at the sacrifice of the weight.  How important is the spike on the feet? On general this seem to add 3-4lbs to the weight.

-- hide signature --

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
If picture worth a thousand words, how many megapixel is it?
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Freeman-Jo's gear list:Freeman-Jo's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon G7 X II Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III +8 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow