Bhima78 wrote:

brianj wrote:

Richard wrote:

brianj wrote:

Richard wrote:

brianj wrote:

samfan wrote:

brianj wrote:

I am one, and I never buy any camera over $200 these days, so all the reviews on this site are completely useless to me.

Brian

The last 3 cameras I bought had all cost about 250 Euros each.

These are a DSLR, a high-end compact and a mirrorless camera. All new.

Wanna get a good $200-$300 camera, look for reviews of $600-$800 cameras from 2-3 years ago.

You'll get much better value than a latest $200 camera, all of which are guaranteed to suck badly. Yes, so badly they're not even worth reviewing. Seriously.

You mean suck like this $AU169 camera OOC shot?

Brian

Lots o light, motionless subject. Any phone could take this snapshot.

But why spend 169au for junk. A D200 could do a much better job and be able to shoot fast moving objects with good af with lens for double the price, why waste your money.

http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/4555668084.html

I don't need to shoot fast moving things, and I don't want to carry a brick around, so why waste any more money that you have to, and yes I would be very happy with a phone cam if they could build a decent 24-240mm lens into it.

Brian

I gave my point and shoot to a family member. They don't even use it, and it was a good one with decent zoom. They use a phone. I don' miss it because I too use a phone for snapshots. For non snapshots I use a DSLR because my phone and old point and shoot do not do it for me. They are too limited.

I was pointing out, you can get a camera that will shoot more than snapshots for $325 even though it is old. Once you went don't that path, you would never go back to a phone or point and shoot (that is why the market is drying up on point and shoot). But you are right, you have to be willing to put up with extra size weight. You could go for m43 or a Sony A7r but you would have to spend a lot more than 325 dollars.

Why do I need to change at all, I am presently very happy with my P&S, its about balancing compromises.

Brian

Just keep on keeping on then with what you like to use. The reason why this site has moved away from cheap P&S is because the market has already moved on from those devices. A phone does exactly what most point and shoots do, and it is why dpreview now has a sub-website that reviews the cameras on phones.

ALSO... you want a phone that can do 10x OPTICAL Zoom? Here you go:

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxycamera/s4zoom/

Price is still a bit high, but it will come down in time.  One reason why I am reluctant to buy samsung at the moment is because I own a EX1 and the firmware is very limiting, lacking fine adjustment and locking out other features when any one feature is turned on.  Its been a few years now and from reading the samsung forum I see that the EX2 still has these faults, but maybe they improve, so if there are no P&S left when I need a new one then this type of camera will be an option so long as it has enough dedicated buttons.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow