Image quality from Canon G1X MkII

Started Jul 19, 2014 | Discussions thread
MOD Dale Buhanan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,271
Re: Image quality from Canon G1X MkII

crashpc wrote:

2) I found that standard OOC processing is pretty bad. You can pull miracles in PP, so finally when you get the job done, it can leave other rivals in dust at times, but it needs some work. Too bad that JPEG processing is not that good. Anyway for the size and features, I´d not go elsewhere. It´s very good device, delivering not worse mixture of fun and capabilities than others.

I have the camera and this is not true at all. In fact, I think it is just the opposite. The straight out of the camera jpgs are very good indeed. In fact, I believe they are better than the RAW especially at the wide end.

The camera provides not only distortion correction, but also it has built in ideal lens correction data and the jpg edges are superior to the RAW. It also corrects any purple fringing effects and other lens anomalies, giving OOC jpgs that are sharp, colorful and clear. I have been consistently wowed by how good OOC jpgs are from the G1X-II. They are so good that I don't even mess with RAW most of the time anymore.

The advantage of RAW is exposure correction after the fact. That is still a bit better than jpg. But mostly, my camera seems to be right on for exposure, although it is possible to blow the highlights as with any camera. So, you do need to keep an eye out for that.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale
Moderator Canon Powershot and 7D/XXD forums

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon G1 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 +35 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
G-D
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow