Reviews of cameras for the average amateur

Started Jul 17, 2014 | Discussions thread
Richard Veteran Member • Posts: 4,858
Wishing does not make it so.

Fotobakkerij wrote:

Richard wrote:

This site is for photography that cost more.

I think this site is not for "photography that cost more" but "for photography equipment that cost more".

Sure.

But Bruce Barnbaum doesn't mention expensive equipment in this quote from his book about The Art of Photography: "Three human ingredients will combine to produce success in any field of endeavor: enthusiasm, talent and hard work and a person can be successful with only two of those attributes as long as one of the two is enthusiasm."

I would disagree. Endeavor, enthusiasm, talent and hard work are only part. If you don't have a camera, you are lost. You cannot take a picture. Now you may argue you can take a stick and draw in a the sand, that is not photography. You cannot fly without a plane, a hang glider or parachute, you can have all the 4 things you mentioned but you are still not going to fly.

So, I don't know if I've got talent for photography but with hard work and enthusiasm I'm confident that I can learn to produce some good compositions with my cheap Olympus XZ-10 camera

If your camera does not have a flash, you will not be doing flash photography, if your camera does not have rear curtain sync, you will not be doing any rear curtain sync photography regardless of how much enthusiasm and hard work you have.

Update: added this composition example that I made this morning with the XZ-10 and Olympus Viewer 3 software:

painting with light

Update: see also this post: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3700120?page=3#forum-post-54054800

I going to give a harsh critique. First, this was not hard work. It appears you just ran this through a hdr filter. It deepened the clouds and made them look more interesting but it also increased the contrast of the bush near the clouds making the leave look black. So if the clouds were the subject, they black bush leaves are a distraction, if the bush is the subject, the clouds are a distraction. Your eyes are pulled in several directions making this an uninteresting image.

All the gear in the world would not help this photograph because, there was no thought put behind it, no subject, no thought as to where your eyes are drawn to. Then this problem is exacerbated by running it through HDR.

My suggestion. There is a lake behind the bush, get rid of the bush and shoot the reflections in the lake and the sky and make it a land scape..

Could pro gear make this picture better? Nope.

Pro level gear can remove some of the limitations of cheap gear.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow