Reviews of cameras for the average amateur

Started Jul 17, 2014 | Discussions thread
brianj Forum Pro • Posts: 14,657
Re: A site you might like, instead of DPR.

Richard wrote:

brianj wrote:

Richard wrote:

brianj wrote:

Richard wrote:

brianj wrote:

No, I get what I need, not what I want, I could raise the money to buy anything I want, but I choose not to.

And that is fine. I understand that too.

LOL, I carry a camera at all times when I am not at home, do you really expect me to go around all the time with that blunderbus hanging around my neck like an albatros.

Brian

Which is a difference between you and I. I use the phone for snapshots and don't carry the dslr around all the time. When I go to photograph I take the DSLR. If it think there may be a opportunity for serious photography, I will put my camera bag in the car.

I've heard of this thing called 'serious photography', I assume it means that the person might sell the image or make a living out of it.

Not really. There is snapshots, which you take images of people or places like a vacation for memories. Then serious which means you go out specifically to take pictures of something. Like night photography, to shoot your city, the moon, Christmas lights landscape. You may never sell these images but you go out to do it specifically.

I don't do either of these things, and suspect that I never do serious photography.

If you don't do this and only take snapshots, I would see why you would only purchase a phone or a small camera.

I can understand a professional needing the best tools, it is the same in any trade or business, but I am only a hobbyist and traveller recording events in my life for later memories. My grandfather did this with a kodak box camera and the family loved his photos, my P&S photos are worlds better than those, so I have no doubt they will be liked.

Brian

My father did this as well. He used a 35mm slr and took color slides and prints. They hold up pretty well even by todays digital standards.

Some of what he did was serious and not snapshots. But I am glad he did not use a disposable throw away camera.

My mother took some snapshots of my nephews and nieces using disposable cameras, they are just snapshots, but they are just memory stuff, so I am glad she did that. But I agree, if she would have used a point and shoot it would have been fine, but it would have been just as fine using a good phone camera.

Point is, best to record things but snapshots you can use anything. Can your point and shoot do bulb photography, powerful external flash, high speed sync flash, rear curtain flash photography, multiple flash, indoor sports (even just snapshots of your daughters/sons junior high gym basketball game), ISO800 or 1600 shots?

The answer is no. And this is what what I would consider more serious, you are not just taking a snapshot but you are actually thinking about how to make a good image using all the tools at your disposal. Perhaps you will never do this.

But your original post was complaining that DPR does not do test on the low end cameras. Well there is a site that does. Cameralabs. So even though DPR doesn't do it, you still have web resources that do. Your camera

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_PowerShot_ELPH_330_HS_IXUS_255_HS/

I think this site maybe more of what you are looking for.

I'm aware of many such sites and unlike this site can use them for useful reviews, but they don't have the comedy that these forums have, like people in the beginners forum asking whether they should move to FF, or others asking which camera they should buy when they don't even know what they are going to use it for, or people arguing over miniscule IQ issues, the amusement is endless.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow