Started Jul 17, 2014 | Discussions thread
Fotobakkerij
Fotobakkerij Forum Member • Posts: 80
Re: I understand.

Richard wrote:

brianj wrote:

Richard wrote:

brianj wrote:

Richard wrote:I could argue that most phones are free with a 2 year contract. I bought my nephew a samsung S4 for free with 2 year contract around Thanksgiving and it had a pretty good camera.

Its total cost of ownership that is the key, I think over two years you will be paying a lot more than I will for my phone or my camera.

I live in the US. For the best coverage and the best 4g internet I use Verizon. I have an old plan that gives me more data than the new plans and is less expensive.

I have to have a phone. I want one that has internet so I am going to pay the monthly charge regardless of if I get a new phone or not. The new phone is free after 2 years. After 2 years the price does not go down. In fact with new plans, the price goes up. It makes sense to me to have the new phone because it trully costs nothing. I am paying the premium to cover the upgrade cost anyway. Verizon would prefer me not to upgrade, they would make more money. I pay $60 a month.

Walmart has strait talk unlimited for 45 dollars a month. I have to buy a phone. Everything is unlimited but the service is not as good as Verizon.

Tmobile changes $25 a month. then $27 for the phone per month for 2 years for an s5. You only get 1gb of 4g data then you get reduces speed unlimited (I assume it is 3g)

But the network coverage is nothing like Verizon and the reason I buy a cell phone is to talk anywhere, I prefer to pay the premium for better service coverage, faster 4g and more data and upgrade the phone every 2 years.

It may work differently in your country. I would be curious what you pay for your phone service and what kind of coverage you get and what type of free phone you get or how much you pay for your phone. Perhaps your deals are much better than ours.

My phone service works in the mountains, so when I go hiking, motorcycle riding or whatever I almost always have service and if not, walk to a higher part of the mountain.

I want the minimum cost of ownership, so I buy what is called pre-paid, as opposed to having a plan, so I buy the phone hardware outright, my last model which is of the older dumb style cost $AU50, and the comms plan is 3G which is $AU100/year, and becasue it is with our main telco Telstra, it has the most coverage even inland which is what I need when travelling.

So say it lasts about 5 years, that is $10/year for the hardware and $100/year for the service. I don't use the camera in it because it is quite mundane by todays standard. To get a decent modern camera as you have suggested would cost me a lot more than my present methods and have a camera with no useful zoom.

Brian

If you are on budget, then I understand, you may not understand who phones have swept over the P&S because most people don't have the budget restraints you have. You seem to have the same restraints on your camera purchase. You have never been the focus of DPR even before the change. This site is for photography that cost more. The focus has shifted away from the low end P&S because there just isn't much demand for that anymore.

I would like to pay 100 a year, but I would not accept 3g. I connect my phone to my laptop and upload and download photos or directly transfer them to my phone and send them to my Western Digital MyCloud 4tb drive.

I guess I am hooked and Verizon does have me where they want me. But as more areas have free wifi and if cell phone service costs go up,. I may go back to a basic phone like yours which would cost me a lot less than I pay now. But for now...

I think this site is not for "photography that cost more" but "for photography equipment that cost more". But Bruce Barnbaum doesn't mention expensive equipment in this quote from his book about The Art of Photography: "Three human ingredients will combine to produce success in any field of endeavor: enthusiasm, talent and hard work and a person can be successful with only two of those attributes as long as one of the two is enthusiasm."

So, I don't know if I've got talent for photography but with hard work and enthusiasm I'm confident that I can learn to produce some good compositions with my cheap Olympus XZ-10 camera

Update: added this composition example that I made this morning with the XZ-10 and Olympus Viewer 3 software:

painting with light

Update: see also this post: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3700120?page=3#forum-post-54054800

Fotobakkerij's gear list:Fotobakkerij's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D70
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow