Reviews of cameras for the average amateur

Started Jul 17, 2014 | Discussions thread
brianj Forum Pro • Posts: 14,657
Re: DPR changes with the times, maybe you haven't

Richard wrote:

brianj wrote:

Not any more, because DPR has changed, if you were here in 2002 you would have seen that everyone owned a P&S and that was nearly all DPR reviewed, but anyone can see that its all about money, there is more to be made by selling someone a body then they will not be able to resist buying more and better lenses.

I think it was not so much DPR, it was the industry. We see the decline of p&S sales, this has been caused by better cameras in phones. DPR has created a new subsite that is dedicated to phones. It is more like they shifted their focus away from a dying format p&S to the emerging one which is phones.

I agree that cameras in phones are reaching an adequate level for many people including myself, but they still can't fit a zoom lens in, so until then I will buy P&S models that easily fit in a belt bag.

This site was bought by amazon because it entices people to spend more money, that's what the whole site is about. That is the reason they don't review cheap cameras any more, if you cannot see that then they have you where they want you.

I could argue that most phones are free with a 2 year contract. I bought my nephew a samsung S4 for free with 2 year contract around Thanksgiving and it had a pretty good camera.

Its total cost of ownership that is the key, I think over two years you will be paying a lot more than I will for my phone or my camera.

I have not bought a camera from Amazon yet, so they haven't made money from me and the S4 was bought from Best Buy. Doesn't seem to matter whether they make money or not, it seems they focus where the sales of cameras are, and phones are where it is at right now.

So if they are trying to make money, then they are not doing a good job. I buy lots of stuff from amazon, photography stuff is not one of them.

But they don't have me where they want me, if they want me to buy camera gear from them that is.

I like their website. I think it is better than what it was. I will be buying a new phone at the end of my contract and I will come here to see the reviews, if they have a better price, i will buy from here (they haven't in the past). If DPR or Amazon can provide me a better price that B&H or the other places that have good prices. The content of the website will not change where I buy from. Jedi mind tricks work on the weak minded and don't work on me... only money

You may not have bought from amazon, but we are all being enticed to buy when we visit this site, that is the price of all the information collected in this one place.

Brian

Richard wrote:

I was only saying that is not the normal buyer that hangs round DPR or even an armature. You and they are a minority. The OP was complaining the DPR does not do many inexpensive camera reviews and they would increase readership if they did. I am saying not much readership for the effort because those readers and buyers are a minority.

brianj wrote:

Richard wrote:

brianj wrote:

Richard wrote:

W Steffey wrote:

I realize that reviewing the latest high-tech camera is more fun than reviewing the middle of the field average camera, but come on guys; not all of us can afford cameras with MSRP's of $750 and more. When I see a new review I first go to the price, and frankly, if the the number is north of $500 I read no further. Check the prices of the last six or so cameras reviewed and you will see the issue. Are there no cameras in the $500 range worth reviewing? Why not throw in a couple of middle class cameras for the rest of us, and expand your readership?

I don't think the average amateur is retired and on a limited budget. I don't think reviewing more low end cameras will increase readership as most people are buying higher end cameras.

I am one, and I never buy any camera over $200 these days, so all the reviews on this site are completely useless to me.

Brian

The average person on DPR does not buy $200 cameras. I will say the average person on dPR has a camera phone which does a pretty good job. You are an even smaller minority than the OP.

I already own a $50 phone that costs $100/year for my plan, so the last thing I need is an expensive phone, but you are right, I am becoming an extinct species here, yet still getting great enjoyment out of photography.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow