Samsung RAW and Adobe DNG compared file size
I tried this on a 26.283 KB Samsung NX10 RAW file :
- Compressed with WinZIP : 23.599 KB
- Compressed with 7ZIP : 20.706 KB
- Converted to DNG format with Adobe DNG Converter 8.3 : 12.709 KB !!!
Given there is a 4.647 KB JPEG file embedded within the Samsung RAW file, the RAW data + metadata are about 21.636 KB in size, still much bigger than the DNG file...
Why is the DNG file so small ? Is the conversion process lossy ?
Thank you for taking the time to clarify this.
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%