5dmk3 help

Started Jul 16, 2014 | Discussions thread
hotdog321 Forum Pro • Posts: 18,592
Re: 5dmk3 help

zenpmd wrote:

I am struggling a bit with the AF of my 5dmk3. Can anyone help?

1. What is the best setting to get a dog coming toward me at full speed? Should I use single spot, all 61 AF points on auto, or the group AF? Say 9 points.

2. How do I lock focus and recompose? Is it not possible if you are shooting AI servo? I assume you have to be AI single?

3. For now, what setting should I have on the custom AF bit? Just case one?

When I shoot sports, I usually use the 9 center points, AI Servo, 6 fps. (I like to use a nine focus points in case the subject jumps away from the single center point.)

I don't see how you can focus and recompose on a dog running toward you, but you could set the focusing points to a different area of the frame.

I generally use Case 2 focusing for basketball, football and baseball--Case 2 ignores the occasional player or obstacle. But if you have a clear field of fire toward the dog, Case 1 might be superior.

hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 11-24mm F4L +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow